I used to see a lot of rock concerts . Here’s a list of twenty-five of the more memorable ones. In rough chronological order:
- Tom Petty, 1991, Seattle Coliseum. This was the first live rock show I remember attending without my parents.
- Soundgarden 1991, Paramount Seattle. This show is the first one I attended where people moshed.
- Metallica 1992, Seattle Coliseum. This show:
- Lollapalooza 1992, Kitsap County Fairgrounds. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, JAMC. Ice Cube performed “F— the Police” for thirty minutes after being delayed by US customs officials.
- Nirvana 1992, Seattle Coliseum. This show.
- Lollapalooza 1993, Portland Meadows. J. Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. played LOUD. Rage Against the Machine sang “Killing in the Name,” complete with hundreds of f-bombs. I suffered a terrible sunburn.
- Rev. Horton Heat, 1994, the Abyss (Houston). I’d been in college for about a month.
- Nine Inch Nails, the Houston Summit, Halloween 1994. Marilyn Manson opened. So many people dressed as The Crow.
- Grateful Dead, Seattle Memorial Stadium, 1995. Jerry Garcia’s last tour
- HORDE Festival, 1997, Portland Meadows, Neil Young w/Crazy Horse (and a brief solo set), Blues Traveler, Morphine
- Willie Nelson, 2000, the Astrodome, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo,
- Radiohead, 2001, Houston/Woodlands. I was so surprised they made Kid A come alive.
- Old 97’s, 2001, the Fabulous Satellite Lounge. The Sunday before I took the bar exam.
- Beck, the Flaming Lips, 2002, Jones Hall, Houston.
- Yeah Yeah Yeah’s, 2003, Numbers. Karen O was in her self-destructive phase as a performer. She was riveting. The Locusts opened. They sounded terrible.
- Coachella Festival 2004. Radiohead, the Pixies, the Flaming Lips, the Cure, Muse, lots of others.
- Judas Priest/Slayer, 2004, the Woodlands. We were in the sixth row, facing the stacks. Slayer’s kick drum stopped and restarted my heart, more than Motley Crue’s song ever did.
- Arcade Fire, 2005, Mary Jane’s (Houston). No room anywhere in that tiny dump of a club.
- Sigur Ros, 2006, Bayou Music Center . I met up with my future wife and other friends who saw Coldplay that same night.
- Tamar w/Prince, 2006, Warehouse Live (Houston). No one cared about Tamar. It was all Prince.
- Rolling Stones, 2006, Zilker Park, Austin.
- Muse, 2006, Bayou Music Center, Houston. Muse was loud enough we had to use tissue to fashion earplugs on the fly.
- Raconteurs, 2006, Bayou Music Center, Houston.
- Austin City Limits Festival 2006, Zilker Park: Killers, Arcade Fire, Muse, others that I don’t remember because I had too much fun.
- Coachella Festival 2007. Rage Against the Machine, Girl Talk, Sonic Youth.
I don’t mean for this list to be exhaustive, or the best ones. It’s merely a starting point. Tell me about your memorable concerts!
In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “The Satisfaction of a List.”